The following post was originally featured on Running to the Kitchen and written by Gina Matsoukas, who is part of POPSUGAR Select Fitness. This easy kale feta egg bake is a perfect quick weeknight dinner or savory breakfast. Add cooked ground sausage for a heartier meat version.
I’m kind of at a loss over what to say about this kale feta egg bake. It’s one of those dishes so simplistic that it’s hard to fully describe the depth of flavor and taste because it just doesn’t make sense.
Does that even make sense? You feel me, I know you do.
There’s kale, lots of FEH-TA, some sauce, and eggs. So you’ve got your vegetables, your dairy, fruit (tomato sauce totally counts as fruit), and protein all in one cute little ramekin, bowl, or whatever you want to bake it in.
Making it reminds me of lasagna with all its pretty layers.
Start with the sauce as your base,
and then layer,
layer some more,
just a littttle more,
This is my go-to single lady dinner on the nights Ulysses works late. With a crusty piece of bread to soak up the runny egg and the melted feta, it’s near perfection.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce or salsa
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook onions, garlic, and olive oil for 3 to 4 minutes, until softened.
- Add kale and red pepper flakes and cook another 2 to 3 minutes until kale is wilted.
- Spray two oven-safe ramekins with cooking spray and spoon 2 tablespoons of sauce into the bottom of each.
- Next, add half the kale and onion mixture between the two ramekins, then half the feta, the remaining 2 tablespoons of sauce, then the remainder of the kale.
- Crack an egg into each ramekin and sprinkle remaining feta on top of that. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until eggs are fully cooked but still runny.
- Serve warm with crusty bread.
- Eggs, Breakfast/Brunch
- 2 servings
POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.